ESL MODULE 1 : LEARN ENGLISH BY LISTENING AND READING
TITLE F : THE OPRAH SHOW - LIFECLASS
CLIP A : BORN WITH NO LIMBS
Do you have a dream? What could keep you from living in that dream? When was the last time you had a complaint?
SYNOPSIS: Oprah Winfrey applauded Nick Vojicic, a man who was born with no arms and legs yet made a good choice to exalt Jesus Christ. He made his life a living testimony of God's greatness, as he lived his life like any normal person. Making him all the more thankful and unstoppable!
Play the video clip and listen carefully to the conversation. Be ready to answer the exercises below.
VIEWING COMPREHENSION EXERCISE:
1) What did Oprah advised all the listeners to do before playing the video clip about Nick Vojicic?
a) to keep thinking while watching
b) to keep their mouth shut while watching
c) to listen and think while watching
2) How old was Nick when he attempted suicide?
a) he was 9 years old
b) he was 10 years old
c) he was 8 years old
3) How did Nick discover the power to take control of his life?
a) when he read an article about a disabled man
b) when he read an article about a super hero
c) when he wrote an article about his life
4) Below are some of Nick's activities. Choose one which was NOT mentioned.
a) he surfs and snorkels
b) he swims and dives
c) he plays golf and soccer
5) What did Nick respond to Oprah's question on how he was able to turn his chemistry, connections, relationships, state of consciousness, and undeniably bad life circumstances into good? Choose which statements below did not match his answer.
a) In my life, I know God gave me this pain for what the enemy tried to use for bad, He turned it to good.
b) Until you understand that we are all wonderfully and fearfully made by God, you'll always be trapped and chained and be stopped but when you the have incredible power of faith in action, nothing holds you back.
c) All things come together for good for those who don't love HIM.
d) You can either be angry for what you don't have or be thankful for what you do have. Do your best and God will do the rest.
e) Because I gave my life to the Lord Jesus Christ and the renewing my mind, I knew that I could be stopped.
Please write your own original sentence using the new words below.
excruciating (adj) : very painful; intense; extreme
"I felt an excruciating pain in my back after I fell from the tree."
awakening (adj): a recognition, realization, or coming into awareness of something
"There was an awakening about the truth of his divorce."
hold (someone) back (phrasal verb): to restrain someone from getting something
"Nothing can hold me back from getting what I want."
road (noun) : a process or a course of action that leads to a certain result
"Enter through the narrow gate for the road to destruction is wide."
tormented (verb): to feel extreme mental and physical pain
"He was tormented by his friends in school."
exalted (verb): to raise (someone or something) to a higher level
"Let us exalt the Lord our God!"
think outside the box (phrasal verb/ exp): is to think differently from a new perspective
"Oprah likes to think outside the box whenever she is presented with a difficult situation."
illustration (noun) : displayed visualization form presented as a drawing, painting, photograph or other work of arts
"He made a great illustration of a bird perching on a tree."
chemistry (noun) : the structure and properties of a substance: the way a substance changes and reacts with other substances.
"I want to study the chemistry of human body."
unstoppable (adj): not able to be stopped
"The plan of God to create man in His own image is unstoppable."
Match the items on A with the items on B:
think outside the box
1.) Our teacher is good at making an ____________ of a certain idea in our class.
2) The crazy man is usually ________________ by a demon whenever he goes around screaming.
3) There was an _______________ of her life after the bad incident.
4) He was already on the ____________ to success when something bad happened to the economy.
5) Childbearing is an ______________ process that every mother patiently goes through.
6) The bad physical __________ of Nick didn't hinder him to succeed in life.
7) Don't _________ ________ something important in your life or you would regret it later.
8) Everybody says I become ______________ when it comes to drinking my favorite coffee.
9) He who exalts himself will be humbled; He who humbles himself will be _________.
10) I want to _____________ everytime I analyze an important case.
POST VIEWING EXERCISE:
1) If you were Nick, what would you do to be happy?
2) What do you think would Nick do if he hasn't surrendered his life to Jesus Christ as his Savior?
3) Can you relate to Nick's imperfections and insecurities when he was a kid? How?
4) Do you think Nick can be called a hero to many people?
5) How does the story of Nick affect your view about life?